Friday, September 12, 2014

Projects

Not the best title, since the best events of our August break was actually visiting with family and friends in Chicagoland and Peoria, IL, and those who came to us in Saint Louis!

Refinishing, Restoring

Since high school, I have enjoyed stopping at curbside piles of stuff. You know, the piles from when someone moves or cleans out their basement. The urge to rescue still usable items from the landfill makes my mind turn with the question, "How could this be reused?" Probably the only things that would get an obvious 'No' are items after a known heavy rain or potential flood, anything that smells or has obvious food/animal/unknown stains. Usually my mind comes up with someone who could use it if donated, or a purpose around our house. About 7-10 of my kids' toys have come from curbside rescuing...

Curbside stuff makes me think of God. These verses capture in a graphic way, the transformation that God creates in our messed up lives.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:2

On the day you were born your cord was not cut, nor were you washed with water to make you clean, nor were you rubbed with salt or wrapped in cloths. No one looked on you with pity or had compassion enough to do any of these things for you. Rather, you were thrown out into the open field, for on the day you were born you were despised. 
Then I passed by and saw you kicking about in your blood, and as you lay there in your blood, I said to you, “Live!” I made you grow like a plant of the field. Ezekiel 16:4-7a


God's restoration of our blackened, shriveled souls is one thing I ponder while doing projects like this one. In fact, since I became pregnant before the project could be worked on, Nick did 95% of the work! Plenty of time for me to think ;-)

Lots of water stains and wear in the top photos; stripping/sanding outdoors;
stripped and sanded table and partly-sanded chairs below.
 And I can't help but think of my dad and grandpa, who like to restore wood :-) And of course, we thought lots of Nick's parents, who originally bought this table and chair set for Nick and his brother! Quality oak and craftsmanship lasted 30 years, and will for more.

We figured that natural stain on the areas that get the most traffic would make later refinishing easier. The darker tone is a chestnut (little red in it, nice with the red oak), and the polyurethane is satin finish. We used oil based products for the finishing for its durability... and put 4 coats of poly on the tabletop and chair seats. With the leftover product and since we have everything listed but a miter box and wood, I'm looking at this child camp seat weekend project. We have a rectangular folding table that adjusts to kid height, and having seating for 6 kids would make for easier birthday parties and get togethers with friends. Since now most of our friends have kids... and we relish a separate adult table sometimes!

Love seeing the grain of real wood--
not like cheap wood veneers that are dark to cover up cheap wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment