Thursday, July 3, 2014

Jungle, aka Garden

Gardening, so rewarding with so little work. Gardening, so much work to keep it all going.

My weakness is weeding, and mesclun, spinach, and lettuce require weeding or tight, dense rows. The alternative is standing at the sink and picking through a pile of cut leaves. Well, I pick over greens, and tolerate all weeds without runners or seed heads.

This is Abigail's weeding technique. Or, she has asked for scissors to cut them down. This is her bed to learn in and make mistakes in.

Grab and Toss Grass
What astonished me is the sheer abundance of fairly average soil and some neglected plants. It makes me want to plant more, just to see the reduction on the grocery budget. The better discipline is giving the extra away. Starting seeds always yields extra seedlings. Grape tomatoes ramble on, producing until frost. Most are naturally vigorous with little water from the sky and me.

I wonder if God feels the same way about our souls. If he is the vine, like a rootstock, and we are the grafted in branches, then the yield should be high. He promises to prune branches to increase productivity, but the rootstock is generally what gives a vine or fruit tree vigor. There are dwarfing rootstocks, and others that have disease resistance. Although the rootstock and grafted scion remain two plants genetically, their tissues are grown together and they are indeed one plant. Amazing. The possibilities with God seem endlessly beyond my comprehension; the story of the universe that He is writing makes my minor character so background.

But it does seem that in any season, even a spiritually dry one, He produces fruit so abundantly.
What can one do, except give to others?
Easy to hold tightly, anticipating more dryness?
Easy to think, all was pruned; what energy do I have for what God asks?

This season of being in Saint Louis is messy like my garden, aka jungle. I misjudged future sun angles, and plants are in less than ideal spots. Weeds have gotten out of hand in some areas of life. New-to-me plants send me looking for answers, "Now how does one handle this?" What I most desire are some friends to turn from being acquaintances and into abundance-sharing-friends.

April, May, June... do you see the rookie mistake of zucchini leaves? Those huge ones right in the middle of my two beds? Oops.
“I am the true vine. My Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch joined to me that does not bear fruit. He trims every branch that does bear fruit. Then it will bear even more fruit.
“You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain joined to me, and I will remain joined to you. No branch can bear fruit by itself. It must remain joined to the vine. In the same way, you can’t bear fruit unless you remain joined to me.
“I am the vine. You are the branches. If anyone remains joined to me, and I to him, he will bear a lot of fruit. You can’t do anything without me. If anyone does not remain joined to me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and dries up. Branches like those are picked up. They are thrown into the fire and burned.
“If you remain joined to me and my words remain in you, ask for anything you wish. And it will be given to you.
"When you bear a lot of fruit, it brings glory to my Father. It shows that you are my disciples." John 15:1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment