Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How about them apples?

Sniffles, please go home. We'd like a break. Fall weather is here, and the temperature change has brought sniffles and attitudes that easily move south.

Mills Apple Orchard, Marine, IL
However, a bright spot was trekking to an apple orchard on the second day of fall! I like that apple picking was a separate event from pumpkins, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Most apples are ready to pick in September, and are off trees by October.

Something that is new to our family is the Johnny Appleseed prayer. Since my husband became a Christ-follower at 17, and I never went to a Christian camp or retreat before age 19, we missed these kids' prayers. This page gives some extension ideas once kids have the prayer down. The song tune is there, too. At 18 mo, E. can repeat the last word of each phrase, and loves the tune. At 3.5 yrs, A. just needed a few hearings to get it down.

Johnny Appleseed Prayer
Oh, the Lord's been good to me,

And so I thank the Lord,

For giving me the things I need,

The sun, the rain, and the apple seed

The Lord's been good to me.

When the kids have shared sniffles with me and are dragging out the fiftieth argument of the day, this prayer is exactly what I need as a parent. God has supplied so much goodness, and there's even more (grace and patience) ready before I even ask.

E. constantly chomped, and A. had to carry her basket
Photo collage maker http://ipiccy.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could be home with you, my dear. But I'm bringing back some inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete