Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Got odors?

Living with other people, different tolerances show up all the time. It's a matter of what we each value, right? Grin...

When it comes to odors, 3 actions suffice in my book:
1) Clean it - with regular old bar soap, dish soap, detergent, or baking soda; sweep it, dust with microfiber; or feed that animal well and keep it healthily clean.
2) Eliminate it - take the trash out, and put that rotten broccoli in the compost! Change the furnace filter on time and with seasonal changes
3) Sun it - sunlight eliminates mildew and naturally bleaches.

Plug-ins, spray fragrances, engineered scents in candles and detergents ... all of these bother my nose and give me a headache. Without fail, they are too strong. And I wonder how those petrochemical bases, carbon monoxide, propellants, and soot (in the case of candles) are affecting my family's lungs, their endocrine systems, and the air quality indoors.

Don't worry, this is not an anti-pet rant! I cannot eliminate my family's animals or take on their care. I like animals, and we want to have some, someday. Yes, dear husband, even a cat. Many people strike a healthy balance of clean for humans and animals.

To those I live with, the worst odor offender can be the cloth diaper can. Those fancy diaper genies don't work with cloth diapers - they aren't good with soggy cloth inserts - we use a regular 12 gallon plastic trash can with an open top. Besides, when I was less than 2 years old, I figured out how to open the diaper pail and eat the deodorant cake... prompting a tearful Poison Control phone call from my mom and dosing ipecac to induce vomiting. There's no way I'm leaving any deodorant or scented item that requires a Poison Control call unlocked and within reach of my kids. Back to the diaper can. It sits in the bathroom, next to the toilet, and smells are to be expected in a bathroom. The usual method of dealing with the diaper odor is to rinse solids off thoroughly, and launder every 2-3 days max. Not feeding large quantities of grains, meat, or dairy helps.

But now someone has shared a kid-friendly, non-toxic air freshener!

It took about 5 minutes to gather the supplies in my house and complete the project. I already had essential lemon oil from a DIY sugar scrub project. A. helped punch the paper with a turkey lacer. A skewer could do the job, too.



An alternative to a Mason jar could be any clean, small jelly or mustard jar with a metal lid. Soak the label off in warm water overnight.You may with to paint the top or glue on a pretty paper scrap first; then a 16 penny nail and hammer are needed to punch the holes. Around kids, I would suggest a screw top lid, although A. has been able to open all but the tightest ones for a while now. No worries with baking soda if a kid or the dog eats some.

The jar we assembled this morning is sitting behind the toilet, next to the cloth diaper can. :-) Smells faintly lemony in there!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jenny. I've often used baking soda as an odor eliminator (it absorbs odors), but never thought about adding essential oils to the baking soda. Let me know how often you find that you have to change this out or add more drops of essential oil.

    ReplyDelete